The agony of Football Relegation

"When our fans stopped singing we knew Oldham were beating Southampton. You realise out on the pitch that you're doomed." Geoff Thomas, Crystal Palace talking about relegation in 1993.

I have experienced relegation with Charlton and it's a terrible thing. I felt the expectation and disappointment of the fans and really do feel that you are letting a lot of people down.

Adrian Chiles (A West Brom Fan and Match of the Day 2 presenter) wrote from a fans point of view in Four Four Two Magazine, that it is the hope that kills you. Quote "All last season I was dreading going down but when it finally happened I was a new man. It's the hope that kills you"

I suppose once you are relegated you make peace with the fact and move on. Football fans being the ultimate optimists that they are.

Read More from the Guardian Article

No comments:

Last 10 Escribbler Posts

Google


  • Powered by FeedBlitz